The University of Maryland Rehabilitation Network is dedicated to providing comprehensive and compassionate rehabilitation and support to individuals who have undergone limb amputation. Our programs are designed to match the experience, needs and goals of each individual. As a UM Rehab Network patient, you will gain the strength and confidence needed to perform basic daily living skills and achieve independence.
It’s important that patients have a support system away from the hospital, so we encourage family members and caregivers to participate in the recovery process. Educational sessions are also available to help patients understand and manage possible complications related to their amputation and therapy.
For most patients, the rehabilitation process includes the interventions to support optimal recovery and help them resume work, home, and community-related activities:
- Comprehensive mobility instruction
- Helping patients make necessary adjustments to their daily living routines
- Pre-prosthetic exercises and mobility training
- Custom-fitting and ongoing assessment and adjustment of prosthetic devices
- Post-surgical care
- Wound healing
- Peer counseling
- Patient and family support groups
- Community reintegration and Adaptive Recreation Program
- Referral to the Amputee Clinic to address future prosthetic needs
Find the amputee rehabilitation service that’s right for you.